Tuesday, September 16, 2008

new school year

it's that point in the new school year where i look around and go 'i have nothing to do'. this is because now i have a reasonable amount of work to do as opposed to an insane amount of work to do, which is my workload from april until september. this is the week after the first payroll closes, and before we level, which is a school district term for looking at how many kids actually showed up as compared to our projections, and we tweak the budgets a little and move around a couple dozen teachers. next week will be levelling, and the attendant wailing and crying and nashing of teeth. then that will be over in early october and then i settle into getting ready for next april.

my life is very predictable.

to tie this to what i see on my walks to work, and still make it about the new school year, there is a charter school right next to my subway stop. as i work for the public schools, i have a chip on my shoulder about charters. i think they drain our resources. but, this one has the best principal this year. every morning, she stands outside the door and starts yelling as she sees kids walking down from the subway stop. 'ms. carter, you're late! mr. thomas, it is past 8:30 already, hurry it up!'

it seems to be working, because every day there have been fewer kids getting off the 8:30 subway. today i noticed a kid walk past the door, looking gulitily inside, as he tucked his shirt in. evidently shirts must be tucked in and he was wearing his outside his baggy pants to look cool on the subway ride.

maybe one of these days i'll actually post some pictures on this blog. i have a fabulous iPhone now, and i love to take pictures of random things. i went from having a pay-as-you-go cell phone that usually just sat on the kitchen table to not being able to have my iPhone out of sight or i get twitchy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

Hey, how did I miss this post? The very first post of yours since APRIL?????!!!!! hahahaha.

An iPhone? What does this say about you? I don't actually know the answer to this. I just thought I'd ask. But man do they take good pics. My cell phone takes pics that are worse than my very first 110mm camera back in 1970-something. Nevermind that I don't want to pay for whatever it is that will upload the images from my phone to my computer (including no internet access), so I'm stuck looking at little itty-bitty things on a little itty-bitty viewer. *sigh*

Well, congrats on getting back into the blog groove!!

8:56 PM

 
Blogger e.Beth said...

hey, how did i miss your comment? i got back in the groove, and then right back out, as that levelling thing i was talking about turned out to be about twenty times worse than it ever has been because we added a million new jobs.

anyhow, the iPhone takes decent pictures, yes. but only in good light at a good distance. anything slightly dark gets grainy, and there is no zoom feature. zoom is me getting closer to whatever i'm taking a picture of.

and having an iPhone means that i am a slave to advertising and like cool gadgets. ;->

10:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home